Tuesday, March 17, 2015

SUBWAY TRIP TO UIJEONGBU!

Learning the ways of Korean Life!

Ok. So, I had to learn (and have translated) how to work my washer/dryer, intercom system, and most importantly.... how to handle the trash this week. The Koreans are very specific as to what trash goes in what bags and where we take it. There is a place for the recycling to be placed, and a place where food scraps are placed, and another bag and place where normal trash is taken. I even took a taxi to EMart all by myself one day.  I had to download an app called GenieTalk when I had wifi and type in the location and any sentences I thought I would need for my trip to EMart and Walla! I easily got there and back. I learned this week that along with some feeble attempts at using hand gestures to explain what I mean, I could pretty much get by with at least these two words, Annyanghaseo and Gamsamnida, Hello and Thank you, especially while shopping the street shops. One of the street vendors took a liking to me after I said Gamsamnida that she put extra fruit in my bag! Our late night Friday night excursion included learning how to take the subway to Uijeongbu, dining at an Indian cuisine restaurant, and trying out some new Korean beer! It's been a whirlwind first ten days!





No comments:

Post a Comment