Monday, April 27, 2015

SURAKSAN MOUNTAIN HIKE


There's something about hiking the mountains that gives me a sense of accomplishment. When you set out to "get to the top" no matter what, well, when you do get there, the feeling is just surreal. It's time for another day hike and I have yet to explore another mountain. This time it is Suraksan, 638m! Not quite the Dobongson at 740m, but quite a different climb this time. The rocky terrain was noticed early on, and I was beginning to wonder how I would get down as the pebbles were already slipping under my feet as I made my way up the mountain. My focus was on the climb up, so I figured I would cross that bridge when I got to it and figure my plan down on my way down. 


Just before entering the trail, there was a beautiful temple nestled right in the middle of the small town of Soyosan, in the province of Gyeonggi-do. Empty streets and not a store open except a small quaint coffee shop, the morning walk to the trail was great anticipation of what was to come. And then, there it was. the mountain peak made of rock, and my mission for the day!


Early on in the hike, there were little trails with stairs and even a few paved pathways great for some nice photographic moments. The spring flowers still blooming along the way, I couldn't resist stopping every chance I could to capture the view.  

 


It was such a beautiful day and the shade was abundant. There were breathtaking views peaking from among the trees just waiting to be part of that perfect Kodak moment.









Soon, the pathways turned rugged, just a trail of rocks, except for the occasional man made rope of sisal secured to the walk way to help grab your feet for steadiness on an otherwise steep and unstable climb. Each step taken needed to be carefully planned out and at times, I had to go an alternate route just to make my way up. The pebbles continued to slip from under my feet causing me to slide. Even with good climbing shoes, these were not shoes made for this hike! I truly believe that part of the skill in the hiking process is taking the time to figure the perfect next step and this mountain only proved my point.





Wishing I had gloves while grabbing hold of crevices of rock and using rope and posts to pull myself to the top, I finally arrived at the peak. It was here that I found the highest point and made my way onto the rock that now looked incredibly small. There I was standing at the top with the wind blowing in my hair and feeling those butterfly's in my stomach as I secured my footing in place, almost not looking down, but instead concentrating on just standing my ground long enough to pose for a picture. My fear of heights continues to challenge me, but the thrill of the being on the top and accomplishing my goal for this scenic day climb gives me great satisfaction. And that is an awesome feeling!


The afternoon came to an end with my friends, Alex and Garrett, and I sitting at the coffee shop listening to music (Alex played the guitar provided by the coffee shop) on the outdoor patio overlooking the town of Soyansan. 

As the day set, my walk home from the subway gave the most beautiful sunset. A perfect ending to a perfect hike and just what I needed to confirm why I'm here living life to the fullest!


No comments:

Post a Comment